In India, there are very few temples where the main deity is Lord Matsya Narayana. One such temple exists in the idyllic village of Pinjar Hegdal, Hagaribommanhalli Taluka, Bellary district. This temple was constructed in 1926 by Late Sri Ambalam Buchi Venkatachar. It is said that Lord Vishnu had appeared in his dreams and informed that a Matsya Narayana idol is at the Tungabhadra riverbed. On recurrence of these dreams, he approached the then Maharaja of Anegundi and shared his dream. The king then retrieved the idol and gifted the same to Acharya Buchi Venkatachar. On the possession of the idol, Lord appeard in his dreams and directed him to the village of Pinjar Hegdal. The Acharya met the devotees of Lord Vishnu and requested for a piece of land to construct the temple. On receiving the land donation from the villagers, he constructed a small temple and installed the idol of Lord Matsya Narayana. Daily pooja and other rituals were performed in the temple.
After the demise of the Acharya Ambalam Buchi Venkatachar, his eldest son, Late sri Ambalam Chakravathi Acharya continued the legacy and worked towards the development of the temple. It was the wish of Chakravarthi Acharya to construct Gopuram and install a proper Dhwajastambha to temple, a wish he could not see fulfilled.
After the demise of Chakravarthi Acharya, the temple was maintained by his progeny. To fulfill Acharya Chakravarti's wish, his sons discussed with the devotees of nearby villages regarding the renovation of the temple. With the support and consent of the villagers the temple renovation work started in July 2013. The descendents of Sandur Ambalam family, friends, relatives and local devotees contributed towards the noble cause of construction of new temple premises, Gopuram and Dhwajastambham. In the month of February 2014, the idol of Lord Matsya Narayana was reinstalled in the temple in a grand ceremony.
The maintenance of this temple is now with the "Sri Matsya Narayana Swami Devasthanam Samithi"